Watermelon & Rull Kuka
As a child, every August meant there would be one meal consisting only of watermelon and rull kuka. Yummy!
I imagine all of you know what watermelon is, but most of you are probably scratching your heads at the rull kuka? Well, my German mother, of Mennonite background, managed to fill my stomach with many dishes that no one else I knew ate. In fact, I was sitting down to a school lunch of pancakes when I realized that these fat, round things on my plate were what everyone else considered pancakes, while I knew only thin, rolled-up-crepe-like delicacies. I'm still not real fond of those thick things the rest of you eat.
So, back to the rull kuka. Many people put salt on their watermelon, for some unknown reason. My family eats these salty, fried rectangles of bread instead. In case you feel daring and have some watermelon nearby, here is the recipe...
6 eggs
1/4 c. melted butter
2/3 c. milk
5 c. flour
2 tsp salt
Beat eggs, butter and milk in a bowl. Add in flour and salt and mix well. Roll out onto a floured board. Cut into 3"x6" rectangles and cut a small slit lengthwise down the center of each.

4 Comments:
Here it is........the recipe we fondly refer to as watermelon and play doh! Never had anything like it before. Brought a smile to my face Amy! I needed that. Definately does not taste like pancakes!
YUM!!! We have some close friends who are Mennonite, we enjoy them so much a visiting their home. Eating with them has always been lots of fun/interesting. They had 14 children. My kids salt their watermelon so we may have to try this, I'll let you know if we do. We like to have watermelon and homemade ice cream. Hope your feeling well.
OK, I grew up salting watermelon. So here is the culinary reason...a touch of salt brings out the sweetness. Now, if you have a really sweet and juicy watermelon, salt is unneccessary. But those melons with a milder flavor are inhanced by a dash of salt.
My mother grew up Mennonite, in western Kansas, and we always had rollkuchen with watermelon on the fourth of July. We roll ours in sugar, though! Love it!!
Post a Comment
Prayerfully consider your words as you leave your comment..."Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
Ephesians 4:29
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home