Nov 2, 2009

Need Spelling Help? SpellQuizzer Giveaway!

Homeschool moms tend to have a love/hate relationship with spelling. It's one of those must-do subjects that bore most of us to tears. That's why I am game to try anything that lightens the burden when it comes to teaching spelling.

Enter SpellQuizzer!

This downloadable spelling software has multiple possibilities from supplementing other curriculums to studying for spelling bees. Not only can you enter in your own lists from other spelling or vocabulary programs, but you can also import one of their many free downloadable spelling lists.

This program appeals to different learning styles as well, and is especially helpful for those children who are auditory. The program is uncluttered and easy to use and quite homeschool friendly. (although, there are multiple benefits for the non-homeschooling family as well)

To get a better understanding of how the program works, watch the video demonstrations found HERE. But to give you a real life understanding of how this program can work for you, let me give you two examples from our homeschool:

Blake - age 11
Blake uses Phonetic Zoo from IEW's Excellence in Spelling. Every few weeks, Phonetic Zoo has the child work on what are called "Personal Spelling Words." These are words that the child is struggling with in his every day writing and reading. Phonetic Zoo uses audio to teach the child his words, much the way a spelling bee would be set up.

I have very little involvement in the curriculum. However, when it is Personal Spelling Week, I have to give the words and sentences and correct spellings, taking time away from the other children for a subject that is usually done independently.

With SpellQuizzer, Blake can continue the Phonetic Zoo format! I simply start a running list of personal words on SpellQuizzer and add to it as I find more words he is struggling with. When it comes time for Blake to do his personal spelling words, I have a program that is set up to quiz him with the same format both of us are used to.

Megan - age 8
Megan isn't doing a formal spelling program because her spelling is quite good already; however, in her main curriculum, there are several vocabulary words listed each week. I am not a big fan of quizzing vocabulary words as it is one more thing I have to add to my already packed schedule. However, with SpellQuizzer, I can enter in the words, add the definitions, and use the program as a way to quiz her on her words throughout the week with minimal effort from me. Way more fun than an index box full of cards!

This program does work best if you have a microphone to add the audio to each word. Many computers come with microphones, but if not, you can easily purchase a small PC microphone for very little money.

In fact, because of the built-in spell checker feature, you could even allow your child to type in his own spelling lists and add his own audio...what a thrill that would be!

In addition to all of this, there is a forum where spelling lists from other families can be shared along with tips and tricks to making the most of SpellQuizzer.

It really is a no-nonsense, easy to use spelling program that offers many teaching possibilities to the homeschooling family.

**Now for some great news!**

One of my lovely readers will receive a
free one-year license to SpellQuizzer!
That's a $29.95 value!

All you have to do is leave a comment on this post. If you blog, facebook, or tweet about this giveaway and leave me an additional comment saying you've done so, you get one extra entry.

This giveaway will end on Monday, November 9th at midnight and a winner will be announced on Tuesday.

So, take a gander at the SpellQuizzer site! Let me know what you think and you could win your very own copy!

Disclosure Statement

Labels: ,

28 Comments:

At November 02, 2009 , Blogger Karen said...

This really looks awesome. I have a couple of boys that probably could benefit greatly from this. Please enter me.

Blessings,
Karen

 
At November 02, 2009 , Blogger Christine said...

I have an auditory son who would love this! Thank you! I'm enjoying your blog.

And my condolences on the loss of your baby. Such deep, deep hurt. Praying for you in regards to this. I lost one at 21 weeks gestation, and another at 10 weeks gestation. I know your loss was much harder (having cared for, held, and enjoyed her in your midst), but I might know something of the despair you sometimes get lost in. I'm so sorry!

 
At November 02, 2009 , Blogger JP said...

This is my first year of homeschooling, and spelling is becoming such a chore. I would love to try this program!

 
At November 02, 2009 , Blogger Celee said...

I've jumped around in spelling. I used free online worksheets for my 2nd grader last year which worked great, but wasn't happy with what we had inherited (free hand-me-down) for my 4th grader. I just bought sequential spelling and we're starting to use it. We're also using Wordly Wise for vocabulary. I think this is a weak link in our program, though. I feel good about their Bible, math, history, and literature. Language arts is a struggle for me. I can't decide on when to work on grammar, when to work on spelling, when to work on writing. It's kind of overwhelming for me. I'd like all the help I can get!

 
At November 03, 2009 , Blogger Shana said...

This looks great :) Does this cover all the grades, or just a certain range?

I've been wanting to do more with spelling so this would really be nice :)

 
At November 03, 2009 , Blogger Nathan Marr said...

This would be fun to win! It looks like a great Program.

Misty aka Mexmarr

(Sorry about the double post...)

 
At November 03, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We could really use some help with spelling. This program looks great. Please enter me!

 
At November 03, 2009 , Blogger Betty said...

I will blog, and facebook this. I have heard wonderful things about this program. THANKS!!

 
At November 03, 2009 , Blogger Retta said...

I am excited about this contest! I blogged about it at
http://tinyurl.com/yzo3ayr

I have children who would love this! Thanks for hosting the contest!!!

 
At November 03, 2009 , Blogger Godlymom10 said...

As a homeschooling mom of nine children, some good spellers and some...well, let's just say they could use some help, this might be fun! Thanks for the offer.

On another note, I only recently came across your blog and I want you to know how very thankful I am to have found it. You see, the day I found it, I read through the story of your Emily and shed very many tears, understanding greatly your loss. That's when I decided to subscribe to your blog.

The next day you posted, "Grief is Dirty." That had to be one of the most touching things that I have read in my life. I guess it ministered to me as much as any one thing could. That one statement has rung in my ears since then, "Grief ain't pretty... It startles at certain sounds and smells, it keeps company with guilt and fear, and it remembers when everyone else forgets."

It is so TRUE. You see, Amy my 10th son, Benjamin, went to be with Jesus at 10 months of age, in January of this year. In some ways very much like your Emily, and in others a world of difference.

I have wanted to write this since I read your story, but, well you know how that goes. Thank you for that post, I will forever be grateful for you so expressing "my heart."

 
At November 03, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a son and a step-daughter who would greatly benefit. Thanks for the contest!

 
At November 03, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Posted on facebook, too.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=1450217435&ref=profile

 
At November 03, 2009 , Blogger Nutmeg said...

Godlymom,
It would be an understatement to say I'm choked up right now. I am so, so sorry your precious son has left your arms. Even with the confidence that our children are with the Lord, it still just aches. Many {{HUGS}} and prayers,
Amy

 
At November 03, 2009 , Blogger Kate said...

I have been struggling to find a good fit for spelling. I would love to try something that is more self directed. :)

 
At November 03, 2009 , Blogger michelle said...

That sounds wonderful. Count me in, please!

Blessings,
Michelle

 
At November 03, 2009 , Blogger PATTIPEANUT said...

This sounds great! Count me in! What a blessing you are going to give someone.

 
At November 03, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so discouraged with our current spelling book. It's just words, no lessons, and especially no phonics! This would be really fantastic.

 
At November 04, 2009 , Blogger Godlymom10 said...

Thank you so much, Amy, for your kind words. Yes, it does just ache, but truly Jesus has been my comfort. Looking forward to your future posts...

Posting to my facebook, too!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=502753960&ref=name

 
At November 04, 2009 , Blogger Godlymom10 said...

Sorry for posting again. I meant to correct this in my last one. In my original post I stated that Ben was my 10th son and I meant to say my 10th child. Benjamin was actually my 8th son, but he was #10.

Many blessings,
Bridget

 
At November 05, 2009 , Blogger Pineapple Princess said...

Would love to win this!

 
At November 05, 2009 , Blogger Unknown said...

As a homeschooling mother to four (two in school right now) I would love to try this program for both of my girls. Thanks for such a great giveaway!

 
At November 06, 2009 , Blogger Jennifer said...

Any spelling resource is a good spelling resource...
Thanks for this giveaway!

 
At November 06, 2009 , Blogger Valerie said...

oh oh oh oh, me me me me! ok I will calm down. I am so excite, I would love to win this. My daughter has handwriting dysgraphia and does much better with computer software programs and I have none for spelling. enter me please!

 
At November 08, 2009 , Blogger Fruitful Harvest said...

What a great giveaway~
Sorry to get entered so late...life here is slowing back down a bit but the H1N1 is traveling though my house!
2 kiddos so far!

Blessings,
Georgiann

I will be following the writing course!

 
At November 08, 2009 , Blogger Steffanie said...

I would love to win this :)

 
At November 09, 2009 , Blogger Fruitful Harvest said...

I forgot to say I blogged about it last night too!
My second grader could really use this!

Warmly,
Georgiann

 
At November 09, 2009 , Blogger Angie said...

Spelling is a battle for my boys. This looks like it could help. Please put me down for the giveaway!

 
At November 09, 2009 , Blogger Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

Arrgghh, spelling! 15 years of homeschooling and we still struggle,currently we are praising God for spell check ;-)

something like this sounds great.

In Him
Michelle

 

Post a Comment

Prayerfully consider your words as you leave your comment..."Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
Ephesians 4:29

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home