Sep 29, 2009

The If/Then Chart

Many moons ago, I was introduced to the concept of an If/Then Chart. Many of you have probably seen or heard about the one from Doorposts or the one from Titus 2 Ministries. More obscure, but popular just the same in homeschooling circles, is the Wise Words for Moms by Ginger Plowman.

In case you aren't familiar with If/Then Charts, let me give you a brief explanation...

They are often used for discipline and training of children. IF the child does such-and-such, THEN the child is disciplined in this manner. Ginger Plowman's chart not only gives the what-not-to-do's, but also the what-to-do's. The ones I've listed are Scripture based and give parents a quick-glance tool for instructing children.

Often you are given the ability to write in your own method of discipline, but for someone like me, that is just too much slack in the reins.

Enter my favorite If/Then Chart (and it's free to boot!)

I wish I could find the site I got this from years ago, but even after an extensive search of the internet, I could not turn up the site. If ever you run across it on the net, please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due.  (1/14/10 - Guess what?!  Today, I found the author...or rather, the author found me!  The site no longer exists, but you can find her blogging at Homestead Momma.)





(Click on the pictures to see a bigger view.  To print it, simply right click and select print, or save the picture to your own computer.  A reader also informed me that there is an error in the "wastefulness" line.  The Scripture reference should be Luke 15:13-14)


Here's how the chart works:  Basically, you have a list of behaviors (the "IF" side), a center section with Scripture that speaks to that behavior, and a consequence of said behavior on the far right (the "THEN" side). The punishment fits the crime and I don't have to think too much about how to discipline certain behaviors. Now, that's the kind of efficiency I need!
(A quick note on the "Penalties" section at the bottom of the second page: the amount of time I "isolate" depends on the age of the child. A 3 year old is not going to be isolated as long as an older child for obvious reasons.)

The thing that I like best about If/Then Charts is that you are not randomly scrambling around trying to find an appropriate punishment for undesirable behaviors. You have a handy little chart all made up for you explaining the why and the how for both you and the child to plainly see. Consistency, which more often than not is the name of the game, is easy to be had with the help of an If/Then Chart.

Labels: , ,

39 Comments:

At September 29, 2009 , Blogger Jena said...

Very cool, I had never heard of such a thing.

 
At September 29, 2009 , Blogger Julie said...

Wow! Thank you for this. I'm going to make a copy for my house and I'm going to share it at my bible study tonight. We're reading "Creative Correction" and this goes right along with it!

 
At September 29, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! I printed them out. :)

 
At September 29, 2009 , Blogger Shannon said...

I have actually seen the other one you mention, but I like the freebie you have up, especially the idea that it gives the punishment for you. Thanks for sharing this!!

 
At September 29, 2009 , Blogger Heart2Heart said...

This is the first time I have heard or seen this! What a great reference chart to assist parents in the appropriate response to raise great kids.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

 
At September 29, 2009 , Blogger Charlotte Ann said...

Love this and I will definitely be looking at this to share with our woman of the church. Wonderful Blog, Im visiting from "Lynnette's blog". Hope you have a great day in the Lord!

 
At September 29, 2009 , Blogger Sherrie said...

That's pretty cool. Wish I had that when my kids were young. I love your blog. I'm visiting from "Lynette's" blog and just Getting to Know YOu! God Bless!

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Heather said...

You have an award waiting on my blog!

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

That is a great idea..have never heard of it.....Just one more day until we draw for the Giant Ornament Giveaway on my Christmas blog...Stop by for a visit....http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Melissa G said...

I'm really interested in this! I hadn't heard about it before.

It's nice to meet you! I'm visiting from Lynnette's blog.

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Melissa G said...

Hi, it's me again! =) I love the Blessing Journal idea!

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Holly said...

Here from Lynnette's. I really like that chart! I think it is really great and I'm gonna take it!! It's nice b/c like you mentioned you don't have to think of a punishment and when the child is order they will know exactly what the punishment is if they do something on the list.

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger A mom of many said...

Hi Amy,

What a great blog! I'm visiting from Lynnette's blog. I just LOVE the longies that you wrote about on another post! I had not heard of those before. Your simple life post was very good as well.

Thanks for a great blog!

Tina

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Verna said...

If you click on the chart it will make it bigger.

Love it,
Printing it for my own use too.

Have a great day!

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Cecilia said...

Stopping by to say hello from Lynnette's blog. The If/then chart is a neat idea!

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Olivia said...

Oh, we had one of these when I was younger! We used them for a long time, especially with my sister who has some mild mental handicaps. The rewards were also really cool and I think what we would do sometime is save up different rewards for a big special one. Or... maybe I'm thinking of something different. :) You never know!

Your little baby was the one that, in essence, got Abigail drawing, right? I've seen the picture and heard the story before and they are both very special, and in a sense, beautiful.

God bless!

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Lolli (aka Lisa) said...

Visiting from Lynnette's site, though I am also a follower of your site already and a subscriber, so you come to my email box every time u post! I love your blog; I love this idea (used something similiar when raising my children) and am going to share the If/Then idea with my daughter to use with my granddaughters!

Be blessed,Lolli (aka lisa)

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Lolli (aka Lisa) said...

I only see chart on your site rather than 2. Would u please try and email them as attachments to me at lisaasyler@comcast.net.

Thank you, friend.

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Kelly said...

Very neat concept!

I'm visiting from Lynnette's blog. So good to get to know you!!

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Tina said...

Hi Amy. stopped over from Lynette's blog to take a look around and realized I had already been here before when I came to see Abigail's makeover on your blog.

Have a blessed day!
Christina

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger midRae said...

I am visiting from Lynnette's blog and I ended up over on Emily's story. I am so touched. My heart aches. What else can I say?

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Kristin said...

Stopping by from Lynnette's today. Congrats on being featured!

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Kelci said...

Came by to Get To Know You from Lynnette! Will be back to read some more.

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Becky said...

Way cool idea! I love it! Thanks for sharing. I hopped over from Lynnette's blog and am so glad I did!
Becky

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger lori said...

I wanted to stop by and WELCOME you to The Well and what a surprise, I read and LOVED a while back, the Me Time article...fantastic!!

What a great visit I've had...it's so nice to meetcha Amy!

peace,
lori

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Lani said...

Wonderful blog.. I'm visiting form Lynette's!!

I would love for you to stop by the Blog For A Cure Blog Party I am hosting all week long at http://whoknewreviews.blogspot.com!
Its a great way to get new followers, win some prizes and support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Amy said...

Hi! I'm vising from Lynnette's blog. I love your blog, and I'm going to have to peruse it more when I'm able. I read the story about your daughter, and it absolutely brought me to tears. My son was stillborn 5 months ago today, so I am currently going through all the grief you talk about. Thanks for putting yourself out there. It's a huge encouragement to me.
~Amy

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Mrs. McFadden said...

stopped by from Lynette's blog, I love this idea. I have saved the charts to my PC and will discuss using them with my husband. :0) thanks so much. I will also be following as I love your blog and parenting ideas.

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger Angela said...

I'm just catching up on blogs and saw that Lynnette featured you! I hope you met lots of new friends! I love your blog. :-)

In Christ,
Angela

 
At September 30, 2009 , Blogger *Mirage* said...

Oh those are great Amy! I'm going to have to copy those too! :) Thank you for sharing!

 
At October 01, 2009 , Blogger Mrs T said...

the if/then chart is from the writers of Doorposts http://www.doorposts.com/details.aspx?id=14

hth

 
At October 23, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for! Can you email me your version? Blessings, Grace
grsmiley74@yahoo.com

 
At October 23, 2009 , Blogger Nutmeg said...

Grace,
You can print them directly from the picture right here. :)
Amy

 
At November 19, 2009 , Blogger Ms. Sassafras said...

charts. they are great.

 
At December 22, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

They had this same chart on:
http://tonsofsons.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/if-then-chart.doc
Grainne

 
At January 14, 2010 , Blogger Unknown said...

This is the If/Then chart I created YEARS ago and posted on one of my origianal blogs which is no longer up. Glad to see it's still around!

 
At January 14, 2010 , Blogger Unknown said...

Actually now that I've looked at it a bit closer it is just like mine, but some things have been added and/or changed (scripture and behaviors). So I'm not sure if this one is mine or one someone used mine to create their own.

 
At January 15, 2010 , Blogger Vikki said...

Thank you SO MUCH for these charts! I have printed them and am "tweaking" them to make them fit my family a little better. I wanted to let you know of a typo I found in the chart... on the very last line (for wastefulness/carelessness), the scripture reference should be Luke 15:13-14, rather than Luke 12:13-14. :)

 
At January 18, 2010 , Blogger Lyn said...

Hi Amy! Thank you so much for posting this! My husband and I (me more so than him! :-) )have been in need of something like this. I found the other one you mentioned but this one is more concise and detailed. I printed it out and will be using this from now on!
Thanks so much. Have a blessed week!

 

Post a Comment

Prayerfully consider your words as you leave your comment..."Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
Ephesians 4:29

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home